Real World Nursing Survival Guide: Hemodynamic Monitoring, 1e (Saunders Nursing Survival Guide)
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Rebecca K. Hodges RN CCRN;Kitty Garrett MSN RN CCRN;Cynthia C. Chernecky PhD RN CNS AOCN FAAN;Lori Schumacher RN MS CCRN
- Publish Date: 2005-01-05
The latest title in the Real World Nursing Survival Guide series, this fun and engaging book makes it easy to review must-know concepts associated with hemodynamic monitoring. Its lighthearted, cartoon-filled approach guides readers through challenging concepts and procedures. The book begins with an overview of five main concepts: cardiac output, stroke volume, preload, afterload, and contractility. It discusses equipment used for specific procedures, followed by discussions of specific aspects of hemodynamic monitoring including cardiac output, intra-arterial, central venous, pulmonary artery, and mixed venous oxygenation. The final chapter focuses on clinical applications with case studies, clinical interventions, and exercises.
- The unique presentation of content narrows the gap between the knowledge a student learns during nursing school and the wisdom they need to survive in the real world.
- Material is presented using adult learning principles and various active-learning strategies to engage readers of all ages, backgrounds, and learning styles.
- A consistent chapter format - using the headings What it is, What you need to know, What you do, and Do you understand? - breaks down information into small segments and facilitates understanding.
- Special icons for Lifespan Considerations, Cultural Implications, Web Links, Cautions, Monitoring and Initial Treatment help readers quickly identify special content in the chapter.
- A variety of memory-reinforcing activities such as mnemonic devices, fill-in the blank, matching, word jumbles, true/false, and crossword puzzles promote learning and understanding.
- Clinical terms and shorthand expressions are highlighted in colored text within parentheses after the explanation, to expose readers to terminology used in the practice setting.
- Boxed Take Home Points distill years of nursing experience into practical, real world advice from the experts.
- More than 100 NCLEX-style questions, divided by chapter, are included in a section at the end of the book so readers can test their knowledge and review challenging concepts.
- Full-color illustrations demonstrate key concepts and principles of hemodynamic monitoring, including various complications.
- Original cartoon-character illustrations and a cartoon camel walk readers through subjects that nursing students have identified as difficult, using a lighthearted approach.
- Waveforms at the end of each chapter allow readers to practice their interpretation.