Young Investigators: The Project Approach in the Early Years (Early Childhood Education)
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Judy Harris Helm;Lilian G. Katz
- Publish Date: 2016-05-13
Now in its Third Edition,Young Investigators provides an
introduction to the project approach with step-by-step guidance for
conducting meaningful investigations with young children. The authors
have expanded their bestseller to include two new chapters--How
Projects Can Connect Children with Nature and Project
Investigations as STEM--and to provide more help to teachers of the
youngest children [toddlers] and older children [2nd grade]. The new
edition also shows teachers how to use standards in the topic selection
process and identifies activities and experiences that will help
children grasp key concepts and skills. Throughout the text, readers
listen to teachers' concerns, witness how they find solutions to
challenges, and experience how excited children become during project
work. This book is appropriate for those new to using the Project
Approach, as well as for teachers who already have experience with
implementing the Project Approach.
* Examples of projects from child care centers and preschool, K-2, and
special education classrooms.
* Instructions for incorporating standards and STEM skills into project
* A variety of experiences to help children connect to the natural
* Toddler projects that reflect knowledge from recent mind/brain
* Tools for integrating required curriculum goals and for assessing
* A Teacher Project Planning Journal that leads teachers through the
major decision points of project work.
* Full-color photographs of children engaged with projects.
* A study guide for pre- and inservice teachers--available through Teachers College Press.