What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know About Sex, Second Edition
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Stephanie Buehler
- Publish Date: 2016-11-08
The second edition of this acclaimed guide to understanding sexuality and working with clients on sexuality issues is extensively updated to reflect recent scientific, practical, and social developments in the field. It provides updated information on relevant disorders in the DSM-5, new theoretical approaches, new pharmacological treatments, updated information on STDs, new understandings of transgender individuals, the impact of same-sex marriage laws, controversies over sex addiction, and much more. Chapters are enhanced with the addition of new take-away points, additional worksheets, and a glossary.
Distinguished by an easy-to-read, down-to-earth approach, the text provides plentiful information, tools, and exercises to increase the confidence and comfort of both trainee and experienced mental health professionals treating sexual issues. Based on the premise that the therapist must be comfortable with his or her own sexuality in order to provide effective treatment, the book discusses the characteristics of healthy sexuality for both client and therapist and addresses issues of discomfort that may arise for the therapist.
New to the Second Edition:
- Sexual and other disorders in DSM-5
- New understandings of sexual identity and fluidity, including transgender
- Legal status of same-sex marriage
- New pharmacological treatments for sexual issues
- New methods of sexological research
- Updated and expanded coverage of assessment tools
- Mindfulness interventions
- Supplemental Instructor's Manual with quizzes and chapter-by-chapter PowerPoint slides
- Updated Practitioner Resources including informational handouts and illustrations