Understanding Hospital Billing and Coding: A Comprehensive Presentation of Billing and Coding in the Hospital Environment
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Debra P. Ferenc
- Publish Date: 2006-05-01
With expert guidance and over 400 illustrations and graphics, Understanding Hospital Billing and Coding covers aspects of hospital insurance billing and coding, from patient admission to accounts receivable management and HIPAA. This one-of-a-kind, comprehensive approach prepares students to meet the growing need for hospital billing and coding professionals by transitioning students' knowledge from the physician/outpatient environment to the hospital environment. Students will gain an understanding of various aspects of hospital billing and coding including: the hospital regulatory setting, structure and function of hospital departments, patient accounts and data flow, the billing process, coding, claim forms, reimbursement, accounts receivable management, HIPAA, and much more.
- Includes over 400 illustrations and graphics to bring important concepts to life.
- Skills and concepts presented in early chapters are utilized throughout later chapters.
- Test-your-knowledge exercises reinforce lessons as students move forward in the text.
- Review exercises at the end of each chapter further reinforce essential information.
- Actual hospital cases offer students an opportunity to apply the concepts used throughout the chapters to real-life scenarios.
- A department-by-department overview of hospital structure provides detailed coverage of how hospitals really work.
- Software exercises drawn from relevant source documents â such as application of registration; Charge Description Master (CDM); and Patient Invoice â simulate a hospital billing and coding environment and provide an alternative method of learning relevant procedures.
- Comprehensive presentation of the UB-92 includes section-by-section explanations and a thorough introduction to the UB-04 claim form as well as comparison between the CMS-1500 and UB-92.
- Detailed explanations of HIPAA, hospital coding, and various payer systems help prepare students to enter the field of hospital billing and coding.