Teaching English Language Learners: Across the Content Areas
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Judie Haynes;Debbie Zacarian
- Publish Date: 2010-02-15
English language learners (ELLs) often face the difficult challenge of learning both a new language and new subject matter at the same time. In Teaching English Language Learners Across the Content Areas, Judie Haynes and Debbie Zacarian offer strategies, tools, and tips that teachers can use to help ELLs at all levels flourish in mainstream classrooms. This book will show teachers how to
* Determine their ELLs' stages of English language acquisition.
* Modify assignments and assessments in different content areas for ELLs at different stages of language development.
* Ensure that all ELLs participate fully in lesson activities alongside their English-fluent peers.
* Communicate effectively with parents and guardians of students from diverse cultures.
Real-life examples of lessons from elementary, middle, and high school that have been modified for ELLs in language arts, math, science, and social studies classes show how to effectively put the authors' recommendations into practice. A glossary of important ELL and ESL terms is included as well, for those who are new to teaching ELLs. Whether novice or veteran, all teachers of ELLs will benefit from this wonderfully practical guide to ensuring that ELLs learn English by learning content and learn content while learning English.