Official (ISC)2Â® Guide to the CAPÂ® CBKÂ®, Second Edition ((ISC)2 Press)
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Patrick D. Howard
- Publish Date: 2012-07-18
Significant developments since the publication of its bestselling predecessor, Building and Implementing a Security Certification and Accreditation Program, warrant an updated text as well as an updated title. Reflecting recent updates to the Certified Authorization Professional (CAPÂ®) Common Body of Knowledge (CBKÂ®) and NIST SP 800-37, the Official (ISC)2Â® Guide to the CAPÂ® CBKÂ®, Second Edition provides readers with the tools to effectively secure their IT systems via standard, repeatable processes.
Derived from the authorâs decades of experience, including time as the CISO for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the National Science Foundationâs Antarctic Support Contract, the book describes what it takes to build a system security authorization program at the organizational level in both public and private organizations. It analyzes the full range of system security authorization (formerly C&A) processes and explains how they interrelate. Outlining a user-friendly approach for top-down implementation of IT security, the book:
- Details an approach that simplifies the authorization process, yet still satisfies current federal government criteria
- Explains how to combine disparate processes into a unified risk management methodology
- Covers all the topics included in the Certified Authorization Professional (CAPÂ®) Common Body of Knowledge (CBKÂ®)
- Examines U.S. federal polices, including DITSCAP, NIACAP, CNSS, NIAP, DoD 8500.1 and 8500.2, and NIST FIPS
- Reviews the tasks involved in certifying and accrediting U.S. government information systems
Chapters 1 through 7 describe each of the domains of the (ISC)2Â® CAPÂ® CBKÂ®. This is followed by a case study on the establishment of a successful system authorization program in a major U.S. government department. The final chapter considers the future of system authorization. The bookâs appendices include a collection of helpful samples and additional information to provide you with the tools to effectively secure your IT systems.