Marijuana Law, Policy, and Authority (Aspen Casebook)
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Robert A. Mikos
- Publish Date: 2017-05-17
Marijuana Law, Policy, and Authority is a first-of-its-kind law school casebook in a rapidly-emerging and exciting new field. The accessible, comprehensive, and engaging material guides students through the competing approaches to regulating marijuana, the purposes and effects of those approaches, and the legal authorities for choosing among them. The helpful organization intersperses these issues of substantive law, policy, and authority throughout the discussion of users, suppliers, and third parties. Substantive law materials cover either prohibitions or regulations targeting users, suppliers, or third parties. Policy materials cover the goals of marijuana law and policy as well as the research on the impact of different marijuana policies. Authority materials address the different levels of government federal, state, and local. Notes, questions, and numerous problems in each chapter provide additional
thought-provoking material and help to reinforce student learning. Current,Â news-headlining cases keep the discussion interesting and lively.Â
- Internationally renowned author RobertÂ MikosÂ is the premier authority on marijuana law. He draws upon nearly a decade of professional experience teaching, lecturing, consulting, and writing about marijuana law and policy.
- Three distinct but inter-woven topics are covered: the substantive law governing marijuana; the policy rationales behind and outcomes produced by different approaches to regulating the drug; and the legal authority to regulate the drug.
- Students are guided through the multi-faceted legal and policy issues now confronting lawyers, lawmakers, judges, and policy analysts working in this emerging field.
- Written in a style that is familiar to law students, but also accessible to a much broader audience, including graduate and upper level undergraduate students in courses in policy studies, political science, and criminology.
- Cutting-edge issues are included that are intellectually engaging for students and professors alike e.g., how are conflicts between state/ federal law resolved? What are the roles of courts and executive officers in terms of policy?
- Dives deeply into classic legal issues: contract enforceability and powers of court, Congress, and the state.
- Notes and Questions following cases offer stimulating fodder for discussion.